- 8 Sentimental Yet Sensible 8th Grade Graduation Gifts - November 3, 2021
- 10 Super Retirement Gifts for a Super Mom - November 13, 2018
- 12 Best Gifts for the Quilter in Your Life - November 12, 2018
If you’ve come here wondering what a push gift is, it’s a present that shows appreciation to a new mom for growing a baby inside her womb and “pushing” it out (or having it cut from her abdomen, that counts too)!
A push gift can be given before, after, and in some cases, even during the birth. Usually, it’s Mom’s partner who gives the push gift. And rightly so – after all, it’s Mom who has done all the heavy lifting for the past nine months. But anyone who wants to commend her for the feat is free to give her a push gift too, and this gift guide is here to deliver!
How to shop for push gifts
Sure, the baby is gift enough, but Moms always deserve extra love. Here’s how to choose the perfect push gifts that Mom will appreciate!
1 – Focused on mom
You’d think it would make sense to give a new mom presents related to a new baby. But she’ll have received enough stuff for the baby from her baby shower, and besides, push gifts aren’t about the baby – they’re about Mom. Her world will have revolved for nine months around her pregnancy and birth, and she’s looking at months and years more of a little child taking up all her attention. That kind of prolonged outward projection of energy can lead to burnout, and can even contribute to postpartum depression.
If you’re going to give a push gift, see that your present is about her comfort, her enjoyment, and her value as a person, apart from just being Mom.
2 – Focused on her comfort
Pregnancy was not a walk in the park and childbirth was no picnic! And yet, the upcoming months of being a mom to an infant aren’t going to get any easier.
Being on her feet, on-demand breastfeeding, and sleepless nights are just some of the things that will physically tire Mom out when the baby arrives. She’ll need to get comfortable where she can find it. Give push gifts that will provide Mom with little pockets of relaxation in her day, like luxurious loungewear, or even a splurge-worthy recliner.
3 – Focused on her enjoyment
In parenthood, you’ll often find yourself in situations so dismal they’d be funny – but only in hindsight. For the moment, however, give Mom recreational push gifts that will remind her it’s okay to take a minute and have a little fun for herself!
4 – Focused on her beauty
Changes to the body after pregnancy and birth can sometimes make a woman think she’s lost some of the attributes that made her feel beautiful. Give push gifts that restore this feeling of gorgeousness that every woman – especially hardcore moms who totally nailed the journey of pregnancy and childbirth – should enjoy!
5 – But would still be totally useful to her
Heed this twist on the popular William Morris quote: “Give no gifts that you do not know to be useful, even if you believe they are beautiful.”
Cute, sentimental gifts are tempting choices for presents. But Mom will soon have piles of baby memorabilia and paraphernalia cluttering her home, and you wouldn’t want your present to end up in a box destined for the attic or Goodwill because the family can’t find any use for it. Give useful push gifts she’ll get a lot of mileage from, and she’ll be grateful for your present for years to come!
Your Guide to Push Gifts for the Big Day
Below is a list of nine push gifts for the big day, one for each month she carried a new life inside her!
For a New Mom Starter Kit
1. New Mom Gift Box from BoxFox
Cover all bases by getting her a New Mom BOXFOX from BOXFOX. BOXFOX features curated gifts from your favorite mainstream brands, as well as brands that are well-kept secrets. Browse their selection of items and you might even decide to build your own BOXFOX and select its contents yourself! Each one comes in a black or nude-colored box, and can be accompanied by a personal handwritten note.
The New Mom BOXFOX, in particular, includes a Fortune-Telling Book for Moms-to-Be, a jar of Belly Butter from Urb Apothecary, a keychain from Chaparral studio, lavender hand wipes from Herban Essentials and a scented candle in a tin from Voluspa.
Give Mom the New Mom BOXFOX in person, or have it delivered to her house. BOXFOX is dedicated to creating stronger relationships – with every personalized gift box, you can be there for the ones you love even when you can’t be there.
- Fortune Telling Book for Moms-to-Be
- Belly Butter from Urb Apothecary
- Mama Keychain from Chaparral Studio
- Lavender Hand Wipes from Herban Essentials
- Aurantia & Blackberry Tin Candle from Voluspa
- Hand-wrapped box with a choice of either black or nude box; includes a handwritten note
- Contains indulgent yet useful items for new moms who could use all the comfort in the world!
- Just a one-time gift box; not a subscription service
For letting Mom recover in style
2 – Upcycled Cotton Sari Robe
Mum’s previous wardrobe of tight-fitting clothing won’t be her best selection of clothes while she’s recuperating from birth and nursing the new baby on-demand. Let her lounge around in sumptuous comfort by gifting her this robe made from recycled Indian saris!
Made by artisans in a village near Rajasthan, India, every sari robe is distinct. Each one is assembled into a kimono-style dressing gown from square patches cut from the colorful, patterned fabric of authentic cotton saris. It belts shut with a matching sash, and one size will fit most moms. The end result is unique and beautiful, and the genuine sari fabric will stand up to many washes. All in all, this sari robe certainly prove to be a beloved part of her wardrobe at home, even after she returns to her pre-pregnancy outfits!
- Material: Cotton
- Handmade in India
- Care instructions: Spot clean or hand wash with mild detergent
- One size fits most
- Shoulder Length: 17 inches
- Total Length: 45 inches
- More than just giving Mom fabulous loungewear, this sari robe will uplift Indian culture, provide Indian artisans with a fair wage, and reduce textile waste.
- As the product is handmade and recycled, the final item will not necessarily look like the pictures; not every color or pattern will be present in every item.
For no-fuss feedings in the future
3. NursElet Bundle of Joy (Organic)
NursElet, according to their website, was a nursing bracelet invented to make Mom’s whole wardrobe instantly breastfeeding-friendly. NursElets are organic cotton Velcro-strap bracelets that keep Mom’s shirt – any shirt! – out of the way anytime she needs to pump milk or nurse the baby. It helps maintain posture and avoid back pain too because she no longer has to hoist the shirt on her shoulder or lean awkwardly to see the baby as it feeds. Additionally, many moms say they often forget which breast the baby fed from last. Mom can shift her NursElet from wrist to wrist to mark which breast to use next.
Over time, NursElet expanded to other products – enough that the brand now offers the NursElet Bundle of Joy, a collection of their best-selling breastfeeding products including the NursElet, bamboo rayon nursing pads, and a nursing cover.
NursElet Bamboo Washable Nursing Pads feature a set of ten absorbent bamboo rayon pads – one pair each in white, black, cream, powder blue, and blush pink (to better accommodate Mom’s colorful wardrobe!). Bamboo rayon is softer and more absorbent than cotton, and it can leak-proof Mom’s clothes without irritating sensitive nipples after nursing. NursElet Bamboo Washable Nursing Pads have natural hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties.
Meanwhile, the NursElet Nursing Cover is uniquely designed to offer 360-degree coverage for privacy when nursing outside yet still allowing for room to let Mom make eye contact with the baby inside. It’s also meant to allow Mom to extricate one arm out of the cover so she has a free hand to do other tasks while the baby is nursing. The nursing cover is made of a soft and breathable rayon spandex blend to keep both Mom and baby cool. Best of all, the NursElet Nursing Cover looks subtle enough that it can be reused after weaning as a regular scarf – or even a beach coverup!
The NursElet Bundle of Joy comes with a free gift box and a card that bears your personalized push gift message for Mom.
- 2 pcs. Organic NursElet (material: organic cotton)
- 10 pcs. NursElet Bamboo Washable Nursing Pads (material: bamboo rayon; colors: black, white, cream, powder blue, blush pink)
- 1 pc. NursElet Nursing cover (material: rayon spandex)
- Simple but ingenious and very useful
- Can be reused when Mom has another baby
- Aside from the nursing cover, the items won’t be used much after the baby weans
For an automatic fresh start to every morning
4. Hamilton Beach 48646 Programmable Brewstation
New parents are due for sleepless nights and hectic mornings – a combination that can be greatly simplified with this push gift!
The Hamilton Beach Brewstation works like a traditional drip coffee maker, only better. Its strongest asset for busy moms is its internal coffee tank – which means Mom no longer has to contend with a fragile glass coffee pot in the mornings. That’s a huge boon when she’s carrying a baby with one hand and trying to pour a scalding hot mug of coffee with the other! Simply press the bar, and the Brewstation dispenses coffee straight into the cup.
No coffee pot means the Brewstation uses an enclosed brewing system, which is its secret to preserving the coffee’s flavor over time. It features a gentle internal heater that keeps the coffee hot but doesn’t burn away the flavor, so your liquid gold is just as hot and fresh for up to four hours after it is first brewed.
The Hamilton Beach Brewstation also has a programmable timer, so Mom’s coffee is hot and piping right when she wakes up. She can brew her coffee regular or bold, make small batches of 1-4 cups, and even opt to make iced coffee instead of hot. The Brewstation makes a maximum of 12 cups at a time.
- Enclosed brewing system with internal heater
- Removable internal water reservoir
- No coffee pot needed
- Dispenses one cup at a time
- Brews up to 12 cups
- Brewing modes: Regular, Bold, 1-4 Cups, Iced
- Dimensions: 11 x 8.2 x 15.2 inches
- Weight: 5.51 pounds
- Convenient one-hand dispensing
- No breakable coffee pots, now or ever!
- Coffee might sometimes drip down the back of your mug instead of inside it – make sure your mug is placed squarely in the center for a clean catch!
For a laugh, and perhaps a moment of peace!
5. MomLife: A Snarky Adult Coloring Book
Sometimes the best gift you can give a frazzled new mama is a laugh! For your push gift, get her #MomLife, a snarky adult coloring book published independently via CreateSpace. Its funny, satirical illustrations will give new moms a humorous take on what they’ll be facing down the line, while moms with older kids might point at a page that seems drawn from their life and say “Yep, that’s me!”
#MomLife’s pages are one-sided, so Mom can rip out some of the scenes and stick them on the fridge for a chuckle in the middle of the day. The pages are made of thick, good quality 60# paper that will go perfectly with any medium – from colored pencils to markers to kids’ discarded crayons. This coloring book is a hilarious way to wind down from her responsibilities at home and get back in touch with her creativity – at least, when she can manage to find the time!
- Paperback: 74 pages
- Premium matte finish cover design
- Printed single-sided on bright white, 60# paper stock
- Works well with all coloring mediums
- Weight: 7.2 ounces
- Dimensions:5 x 0.2 x 11 inches
- Illustrations aren’t cluttered, don’t feature too-small details, and have plenty of negative space so they work well with many mediums
- Many illustrations are about wine and getting drunk – which non-drinking moms might not be able to relate to
For designer diaper changes
6. Designer Diaper Bag by Monique Lhuillier
Let Mom carry those diapers in style with this designer diaper bag from international designer Monique Lhuillier!
Made of a jute, cotton, and rayon blend, this designer diaper bag is breathable, easy to clean, and durable. The inside of the bag is lined with water-resistant polyester. It has four stretchy pockets for baby bottles, a zippered inner pocket, and a roomy main compartment for diapers. Going the extra mile, this Monique Lhuillier diaper bag also includes a foldable changing pad for convenient diaper changes anywhere.
Externally, the bag is accented with leather trim and comes in two colors: a pink version with rose gold hardware, and a gray version with silver hardware. This designer diaper bag looks sophisticated and very subtle; useful for when Mom’s all dolled up and it wouldn’t be quite right to carry a bag that screams “I’m filled with nappies and baby bottles!” It’s so classy and functional that she can most likely keep using her designer bag, long after the baby outgrows diapers.
- Material: 59% jute, 27% cotton, 14% rayon; finished with leather trim
- Interior: 4 bottle holders, 1 zipper pocket, lined polyester interior.
- Changing pad included; pad has a layer of batting and hidden magnetic closure
- Changing pad dimensions: 25 x 16 x 9 inches
- Available colors: Pink and rose gold; Gray and silver.
- Care instructions: Spot clean with a soft, damp cloth. Blot to remove excess water. Air-dry.
- Dimensions: 24 x 7.5 x 14 inches
- Weight: 2 lbs
- Doesn’t look at all like a diaper bag from the outside
- Can be repurposed as a large multipurpose tote after the baby no longer needs it
- Might be a little pricey for a diaper bag, but hey, at least it’s designer!
For an extra hand around the house
7. Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Here’s a next-level push gift! Choose the Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum to keep Mom off her feet, save her time doing chores, and give her more freedom to be with her new bundle of joy.
The Roomba 675 is one intelligent cookie. Its smart sensors to allow it to navigate the floor space and furniture without getting stuck, and it’s also equipped with cliff sensors to avoid steep drop-offs like stairs. The Roomba 675 runs for 60-90 minutes, after which it automatically returns to its charging dock. The Wi-Fi connectivity feature allows Mom to command it from the iRobot Home App, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant. She can schedule cleaning times using the app so she doesn’t have to set it up every day – a huge help for when Mom is away or busy!
The Roomba 675 works by using a 3-stage cleaning system to loosen, lift, then suction dirt from floors. It features dual multi-surface brushes – one loosens the dirt and the other sweeps it up – to attack everything from tiny dust particles, larger debris, and even pet hair, removing dirt from smooth, hard floors and carpets alike. The Roomba’s smart Dirt Detect sensors also allow it to exert extra effort on high-traffic areas where more dirt accumulates.
Give the Roomba 675 as a push gift and Mom is guaranteed to be thrilled that you’re saving her a daily sweep of the house for years to come!
- 3-Stage Cleaning System
- Dual Multi-Surface Brushes
- Patented Dirt Detect sensors
- Full suite of intelligent sensors guide the Roomba around furniture and preventing it from falling down stairs
- Edge-Sweeping Brush designed at a 27-degree angle to sweep debris away from edges
- Lithium-ion batteries
- Runs for up to 90 minutes
- Automatically docks and recharges itself (supports voltages of 110-240v)
- Dimensions:4 x 13.4 x 3.5 inches
- Weight:8 pounds
- The Roomba can most often find its way out of nooks and crannies when it gets stuck
- No trouble navigating furniture or flooring transitions
- Brushes are easy to remove and clean
- The Roomba may be a bit loud while it’s vacuuming
- Dustbowl is small, needs regular emptying
- May have difficulties vacuuming on dark surfaces because they set off the cliff sensor
For putting Mom’s feet up
8. Baby Relax Tinsley Swivel Glider Chair
Another truly indulgent push gift for Mom is this Baby Relax Tinsley Nursery Swivel Glider.
The Baby Relax Tinsley swivel glider is designed to be an endlessly comfortable nursing chair. It’s capable of a smooth front-to-back gliding motion so Mom can rock her baby to sleep; and a full 360-degree rotating swivel motion that allows Mom to effortlessly change the direction the chair is facing. This swivel glider has thick and firm seat cushions, ample lumbar support, and armrests for maximum comfort. Plus, it’s upholstered in easy-to-clean microfiber fabric in anticipation of spills and accidents.
The Baby Relax Tinsley swivel glider may be meant for the nursery, but it can eventually transition to being an oasis of relaxation in other parts of the house. Its two-tone welting and button tufting make for a timeless, classic design. The swivel glider comes in three tasteful, gender-neutral colors: gray, dark taupe, or beige. Be warned, though: if you give Mom this push gift, she and the baby might never leave it!
- Upholstered in microfiber fabric
- Traditional shaped arm design for comfort
- Crisp two-tone welting
- Button tufting on the backrest
- 360-degree swivel function
- Front-to-back glider function
- Seat height: 5 inches
- Seat width: 20 inches
- Dimensions: 32 x 29.5 x 37 inches
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Compact size makes it great for smaller nurseries
- Offers excellent lumbar support
- Easy to assemble
- The backrest is a bit short; may not be the best chair for tall moms
For the top recommended push gift – and more besides
9. Hermosa Rose Gold Steel Watch from MVMT
As Mom steps into her role, she’ll start to prioritize convenience and ease of use in her routine, even with items as simple as watches. Pretty watches with hard-to-read faces, or chunky watches that will prove cumbersome when she’s carrying a squalling baby and a bursting diaper bag won’t be her go-to pieces anymore. This might mean sacrificing style for convenience – but not with the MVMT Hermosa!
MVMT minimalist watches began as a crowdfunded project on Indiegogo and is now a crowd favorite among watch enthusiasts. Hermosa’s all-metal look in brushed rose gold easily matches most outfits. Its lightweight mesh metal band doesn’t accumulate sweat all day or snag on your clothes – you’ll almost forget it’s there! And yet, the good-sized 38mm minimalist watch face lets you easily check the time when you finally need it. If you order off the MVMT site, there are also options to add bracelets and bangles to match the watch. The watch itself also comes in different sizes to fit various wrist sizes.
The MVMT Hermosa is a perfect push gift, especially as many lists say the top recommended push gift is jewelry. But you might as well pick a piece that serves Mom with function, as well as being fashion forward and sentimental.
- Case size: 38 mm
- Case thickness: 6 mm
- Case material: Brushed rose gold stainless steel
- Face: Hardened mineral crystal
- Dial: Rose gold, rose gold hands and markers, rose gold second hand
- Strap: Rose gold stainless steel; interchangeable strap
- Strap width: 18 mm
- Movement: Battery-powered, three-hand Miyota Quartz
- Water resistant for up to 3 atm (30m)
- Lightweight and comfortable to use
- Watch features an interchangeable band so you can swap it out if it breaks or if it’s not to your liking
- Customers have reported issues with the clasp – but MVMT customer service is accommodating and speedy if you need replacements
Push for the perfect gift!
This gift guide features push gifts that are focused on the new mom, promote her comfort, let her have a little fun, will be useful, and remind her she’s the bomb!
Giving birth is a life-changing experience, one that needs Moms to be resilient, strong, and patient. Dads have no notion of how physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging pregnancy is, and the rest of us can only wonder or wait for our turn. It’s the thought that counts when it comes to any present, but when it comes to push gifts, it’s best to be extra thoughtful because Mom definitely deserves it!