- 8 Sentimental Yet Sensible 8th Grade Graduation Gifts - November 3, 2021
- 10 Super Retirement Gifts for a Super Mom - November 13, 2018
- 12 Best Gifts for the Quilter in Your Life - November 12, 2018
Retirement gifts celebrate the end of a long and satisfying career packed with accomplishments, sacrifices, and anecdotes that are secretly nuggets of wisdom in disguise.
While they’ll definitely need time to adjust to a life of leisure, retirees look forward to growing old with their spouse, spending time with their children and grandchildren, and catching up on all the things they set aside as they worked to earn a living.
For your dad, presents for retirement should both acknowledge the close to a significant, decades-long chapter in his life, and usher in the new one he’s about to embark on.
Gift-Giving Tips for Your Retiree Dad
He may be retiring soon, but you need to get to work on finding that perfect retirement present to celebrate the occasion. Here are some tips for choosing gifts that your retiree dad will enjoy!
1 – Keep them functional
Think of what your dad’s life will be like now that they’re retired, and choose presents that will be useful in that new lifestyle. For example, if your dad plans on traveling to all the countries he couldn’t go to as an employee, you might want to give him a luggage set.
If he wants to stay at home and take on the garden, a lovely gardener’s seat will serve his knees well. There’s no retiring from practical, purposeful presents!
2 – Aim for humor
There’s no need to try so hard to impress your retiree dad – at this age, he’s seen it all. But what is always novel and never gets old is a good ol’ laugh! Give your retiree dad some of these newfangled, cool-kid presents with no other purpose than to put a smile on his face.
Trust us, nothing will get him to lean into a life of no more stress than a full, unrestrained fit of laughter.
3 – Encourage him to chill out
All his life, your retiree dad has probably been getting work-related presents. Pens, briefcases, cuff links – all kinds of paraphernalia that supported his career and inspired him to keep grinding.
Veer away from these presents now that he’s retired! Instead, give gifts that will encourage him to slow down, put his feet up, and take his sweet time. He’s certainly earned it.
4 – Support his hobbies
Surveys show that one of the things retirees look forward to is picking up hobbies that have fallen by the wayside in their race toward their ambitions. These can range from golf or other sports, to dance and music, games, gardening, cooking and barbecuing, collecting, woodworking and crafts, to even simply reading!
Give your retiree dad presents that support his current hobbies, or introduce new ones. It’s never too late to learn something new, and now that your dad is retired, he’ll certainly have all the time he needs.
5 – Show your appreciation
Your dad spent his career working for you, to put you through school and provide for your family’s needs. Above all, let your retirement gifts show your gratitude for the sacrifices and hard work he’s put in along the way.
Express your pride in your dad’s accomplishments, and don’t forget actually to tell him thank you! At the end of the day, that’s all the gift he really needs.
Your Guide to Gifts for Retiree Dads
We’ve pulled together ten gifts for your retiree dad that will definitely get him to chill out, have a beer and a good laugh, and just relax. Get to work below!
For excited dads and families
Digital Retirement Countdown Timer
Starting off the list is this countdown timer to retirement, which would make a lovely advance present to get your dad excited for his exit from the workforce!
Start the countdown as early as up to 999 days before the actual retirement day. The timer is small enough to be placed anywhere from his bedside table to his work desk, and be reminded that days of leisure are coming soon.
It’s also covered by a sticker emblazoned with the words “Countdown to Retirement” set against a backdrop depicting a tropical beach to hype your dad up even more.
Once the big day arrives, the alarm goes off for sixty seconds (you can’t miss it!). Your dad can also peel back the sticker and reuse the timer later on, like for counting down to well-deserved vacation, or for the many hobbies; he’ll have all the time in the world to cultivate.
- Displays: Days/Hours/Minutes/Seconds
- Long Fixed Time: 999 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds
- Requires: 2 internal CR2032 batteries (included)
- LCD screen size: 3.94×0.83 in
- Warranty: 3 years
- Dimensions: 4.4×0.5×1.9 inches
- Weight 2.4 ounces
- Large, readable numbers
- Can be used for other purposes (counting down to trips, events, other occasions, etc.)
- The clock buttons aren’t labeled; you’ll need to keep the instructions so you can set the clock again after using
- Does not come with a display stand
For the ultimate lazy dad
Remember when we said this list was all about relaxation and being lazy? Well, get ready for the ultimate lazy gift.
This self-stirring mug does all the work. Just pop everything inside then push down on the switch, conveniently located where your thumb naturally sits when you’re holding a cup.
The mug does all the heavy stirring for you, and your drink comes out evenly blended and ready to sip. No need for the clink-clink-clink of the teaspoon as you stir or poking yourself in the eye with it when you forget to take it out of your mug.
Your dad probably spent countless mornings before work hurrying to make and stir his coffee as he stepped out of the house. Now that he’s retired, he can take all the time he needs in the morning preparing his perfect cup of joe – and the best part is, with this gift, he can relax so hard he won’t even have to stir it himself!
- Requires Two (2) AAA Batteries (not included)
- Dimensions: 5.9 x 2.7 x 2.7 in
- Stirs quietly
- Works better than manual stirring with a spoon for mixing up dregs
- Not microwave- or dishwasher-friendly
For dads poised to take flight
Samsonite 5-piece Nested Luggage Set
Many retirees look forward to finally taking extended vacations when they retire.
Fuel your dad’s wanderlust with this 5-piece luggage set from Samsonite! The set includes an upright wheeled packing case, an upright wheeled carry-on, a travel duffel, a travel tote, and a toiletry kit.
To make travel light and easy for your dad, the travel duffel and tote feature Smart Sleeves, to allow them to be attached to the pull-handles of the wheeled cases. The wheeled cases also feature a unique Add-a-Bag strap to hold the bags attached to them in place!
All the bags are designed with padded handles to make lifting comfortable, lined interiors to protect your stuff and self-mending zippers for durability.
The wheeled cases run on smooth inline skate wheels so your dad can easily navigate through the busy airports and streets of his dream destinations. Finally, the smaller pieces nest inside, the larger pieces are for convenient storage when it’s time to go back home.
This Samsonite 5-piece luggage set is an excellent investment that your dad will appreciate, wherever in the world he may wind up!
- 21″ Upright (21 x 16 x 9 in)
- 26″ Upright (26 x 18 x 10 in)
- 23″ Duffel (22.5 x 12 x 12 in)
- Boarding Bag (15 x 11.5 x 10.5 in)
- Toiletry kit (10.5 x 7 x 4.5 in)
- Material: 1200D polyester
- Polyurethane inline skate wheels
- Push-button locking handle system
- Padded carry handles and bottom grip for comfort when lifting
- Fully lined interiors
- Self-mending coil zippers
- Add-a-Bag Strap to let you carry two bags at once by securing another bag to the pull-handle of your luggage with a clip-on strap
- Smart Sleeve feature allows duffel cases to slide over the upright luggage’s pull-handles for easy transport
- Package Dimensions: 28.1 x 18.3 x 12 in
- Total Weight: 24.1 lbs
- An absolute steal for the price!
- The Add-a-Bag and Smart Sleeve features are convenient during travel, and the nesting design comes in use at home
- Doesn’t come with padlocks, combination locks, or sophisticated security measures
For dashing and debonair facial hair
Damn Handsome Beard Grooming Kit
If your dad has been growing a glorious beard during his retirement to rival the likes of St. Nicholas or Gandalf the Grey, give him this Damn Handsome Beard Kit from Prezzy Box!
This tiny tin boasts that it’s got all you’ll ever need always to have wonderful whiskers.
The Damn Handsome Beard Kit includes beard oil to moisturize and nourish the mustache and beard, mustache wax to add shape, stainless steel scissors for trimming the hair when it gets unruly, and a stainless steel comb to suss out any tangles and keep your dad’s facial hair looking neat and sophisticated.
He’ll know retirement is making him look years younger when he can check out his beard in the mirror and tell himself, “Damn, handsome!”
- Beard oil (10ml)
- Moustache Wax (15ml)
- Moustache Scissors (8.6cm)
- Brass or Stainless Steel comb (7.4cm)
- Beard Oil: Vitis vinifera, Persea Americana, Citris sinenis, Zingiber Officinale, and Vitamin E.
- Moustache Wax: Beeswax (Cera Alba), Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
- No animal testing
- No parabens
- No Silicones
- Small and portable for getting handsome on the go!
- Limited instruction on how to trim a beard
For the above par retiree
Retirement Golf Ball Gift Set
Golf is a favorite sport for retirees. Studies report that it’s because golf is not as physically demanding as other sports, allowing competitive play even for older players with physical limitations.
Plus, the long walks count as an exercise that passes by unnoticed as they socialize with others on the course.
Whether your dad is already an avid golfer or is looking to take up the sport in his retirement, these golf balls printed with “Full Swing Retirement” – very punny, we know – will get him excited to tee up!
Of course, your dad could decide to display them in his study to commemorate this occasion, but they’re also perfectly functional golf balls that just might bring him luck on the course. Either way, this gift is a certified hole in one!
- Dimensions: 5.8 x 2.5 x 2 in
- Weight: 4 oz
- Regulation-weight golf balls
- Packaged only in a clear plastic sleeve, will need to be repackaged before gifting
For the new resident grill master
Approaching your retiree dad with a briefcase might make him run in the other direction – but not this briefcase!
This barbecue set from Uncommon Goods consists of an array of flame-retardant cooking tools, including a spatula, a long three-pronged fork, kebab skewers, corn holders, tongs, and barbecue knives. Cleaning brushes are also included.
The entire set is stored inside a beautiful aluminum briefcase, not unlike the one he brought to work not too long ago.
This barbecue briefcase is the perfect thing for your dad’s promotion to master of the grill! Sit back and let him serve up immaculately-smoked steaks, burgers, butterfly-cut hotdogs, and kebabs on your weekend barbecues.
Don’t let him work too hard, though – he might end up making the backyard his new office.
- 1 Spatula (18 in)
- 1 Three-prong Fork (18 in)
- 8 Shish Kebab Skewers (17.5 in)
- 8 Corn Holders (2.5 in)
- 1 Pair of Tongs (18 in)
- 1 Barbeque Knife (15 in)
- 1 Cleaning Brush (16 in)
- 2 Cleaning Brush Heads (3.25 x 2.5 in)
- Material: Aluminum, stainless steel, polypropylene
- Care Instructions: Tools are dishwasher safe. Spot clean and air dry briefcase.
- Briefcase dimensions: 19.5 x 11.5 H x 3.25 in
- Durable, well-crafted materials
- Briefcase adds an element of portability as it’s easy to bring all the tools everywhere
- Although the tools’ handles are made of heat-resistant polypropylene, the tools are not meant to be left unattended on the grill
For two green thumbs up
Gardener’s Tool Seat
Some retirees prefer to spend their time outdoors surrounded by nature after years of staring at a computer screen and squinting at the fine print on paper!
However, squatting and kneeling in the garden rises to a whole new difficulty level at that age. That’s where this gardening seat provides comfort! Standing at 15 inches, this seat takes pressure off your dad’s knees when they need to get down and dirty while pulling up weeds.
More than just a comfy chair, this gardening seat also comes with a removable bag nylon bag with a roomy center compartment and numerous pockets for all of your dad’s gardening paraphernalia.
It’ll save him the effort of carrying a chair and a separate toolbox when tending to his prize-winning rose bushes or thriving herb garden!
- Material: The chair is made of lightweight steel, and the bag is made of nylon
- 21 pockets for tools
- Large catch-all interior
- Two carrying handles, hook-and-loop fasteners
- Supports up to 250 lbs
- Care instructions: Wipe with a damp cloth. Air dry.
- 13″ seat: 13 x 15 x 11 in
- 16″ seat: 16 x 15 x 13.5 in
- Fabric seat measures 10.5″ in
- The material is durable and waterproof
- The bag is detachable from the seat
- The seat height is not adjustable
- Tools are not included!
For days when Dad is difficult
Grumpy Old Git Kit
The retired life won’t always be easy-peasy. There will be days your retiree dad will be stubborn, old-fashioned, contrary, and generally a pain in the rear to deal with.
On those days, this Grumpy Old Git Kit from Prezzy Box is just what he needs to restore his sense of humor!
On his Grumpy Old Git days, he might decide to wear his special socks emblazoned with the words “Grumpy Old Git” to declare his sour mood and warn everyone to tread carefully. (They’ll look fabulous paired with his dad sandals.)
You might want to serve your dad his favorite beverage in his Grumpy Old Git mug to bribe him back to good cheer, followed by yummy sugarless breath mints – packaged fittingly in a Grumpy Old Git tin.
When used wisely, this present is a tongue-in-cheek way to point out to your dad when he’s being a Grumpy Old Git, and recall him back to his usual, good-humored self!
- Black “GRUMPY OLD GIT” mug
- Black “GRUMPY OLD GIT” socks (UK size 6-11)
- Sugar-free mints in a “GRUMPY OLD GIT” tin
- Mug: 4.9 x 3.6 x 3 in
- Mints tin: 2.8 x 3.2 x 0.6 in
- Diabetics can enjoy sugar-free mints
- Socks are on the thin side
- The mug is slightly smaller than average
- Not for dads who take themselves too seriously!
For a little childish trolling at his age
“I’m Retired and You’re Not” Can Coolie
Another fun gag gift for your retiree dad is this “I’m retired, and you’re not, have fun at work tomorrow” coolie for cups, soda cans, and bottles! Made of polyurethane foam, it’ll keep his drink cold as he puts feet up and watches you rush around the house getting ready for work.
If your dad is the kind of troll who likes to rub it in that he’s living the sweet life and you’re still employed, he’ll get a lot of mileage out of this gift. Post photos online to provoke violent reactions from his co-workers still stuck in the nine-to-five grind! Take it to Sunday dinners and lord his free Mondays over everyone who has to turn in early!
Easily washed and dried, this is a present your dad can use every day as he chills in his empty nest.
- Material: ⅛ in thick high-density open cell polyurethane foam
- Holds 12 oz cans or 12-16 oz bottles
- Folds flat for easy storage.
- Machine washable.
- Dimensions: 6.4×4.2×1.1 in
- Weight: 0.8 oz
- Snug fit on cans and bottles
- The cheeky message is sure to get your retiree dad the reaction he’s going for
- Foam is thin and doesn’t offer a lot of insulation
For making retirement 100% official
Thingamagift Out of Business Cards with Stainless Steel Case
Closing off this list of retirement gifts for your dad are these Out of Business Cards from Thingamagift!
Your dad has paid his dues, passed on the torch, and has now earned the right to point out that whatever your concern is, it’s no longer his problem. Don’t call, don’t email – he has no deadlines to beat nor obligations to get back to you. His title is RETIRED, and his job description states that if you have any questions, you can go ASK SOMEONE ELSE.
These business cards come complete with a stainless steel calling card case shaped like a tiny briefcase. The set initially comes with ten of these humorous cards, but you can order more from Thingamagift if your dad gets a kick out of giving them away.
And why wouldn’t he? He’s earned this new status in life – these cards just make it more official.
- 10 high-quality “Out of business” cards with no contact information
- Stainless steel case laser-engraved with the word “Retired”
- Dimensions: 5 x 2.6 x 0.2 in
- Weight: 2.24 oz
- Humorous cards that will provoke hilarious reactions!
- The briefcase is exquisitely detailed
- Only contains ten cards (don’t fret, extra cards can be added to your order via the Thingamagift store!)
Get to work!
For your dad’s retirement, you’ll never go wrong with gifts that are functional, provoke a laugh, encourage relaxation, support his hobbies, and show him how much his efforts through the years means to you.
This guide to retirement gifts will help you choose presents for your dad that commend his industry and perseverance throughout his working years.
They’re a testament to his love for his family, and a reflection of the wise, worldly, and well-humored man that he is. Most importantly, they’re a gentle reminder to him that he’s finally free to hang up his hat and simply enjoy at home.