- 8 Sentimental Yet Sensible 8th Grade Graduation Gifts - November 3, 2021
- 10 Super Retirement Gifts for a Super Mom - November 13, 2018
- 12 Best Gifts for the Quilter in Your Life - November 12, 2018
Being a working woman is hard. Being a mom is hard. And being a working mom? The hardest.
The life of a working mom is one part proving she deserves everything she’s getting at her job, one part being a nurturing presence for her kids at home, and several parts being judged by society for not being able to devote herself fully to one path or the other.
But a mom who has retired has walked both paths to the finish and has earned a long and rewarding retirement ahead of her. If you’re looking for a gift to celebrate your Mom’s superhuman achievements throughout her career, we’ve come to your rescue!
Gift-Giving Tips for Your Retiree Mom
You might never figure out how Mom ticks all the boxes, dots every i, and crosses every t, but we’ll tell you how to ace gift-giving for the Super Mom in your life. Here are some tips for choosing presents that your retiree mom is sure to enjoy!
1 – You’re focused on her, 100%
Until now, Mom has spent her days in service of other people. If it’s not putting in extra hours at work, it’s pulling out early for her kids. It’s likely that most of her presents have been in support of her job or raising her family as well.
It’s not often that Mom gets presents that are focused solely on her enjoyment, well-being, or self-care, but retirement is exactly the time for those things! When you choose a retirement present for Mom, pick a gift that reminds her that she’s more than just Mom, and more than just a professional – she’s her own super person too.
2 – You pamper her
In your eyes, Mom is beautiful at any age, but she might forget that once in a while, especially when she looks in the mirror and doesn’t see the girl she used to be. Bring that feeling back for her by gifting her with unapologetically indulgent presents like silk sheets or home spa tools. They’ll bring out the beauty in her and show her that aging – like every other task she’s been handed – is something she’s doing super gracefully.
3 – You support her interests
It’s during retirement that Mom can finally pursue the interests she had to put aside while working. Whether it’s cooking, gardening, reading, or anything else, show Mom that you’ve been paying attention to the things that bring her fulfillment and joy by giving her a present connected to her hobbies. Of course, a better gift would be finding time to explore them with her too!
4 – You acknowledge all she had to go through
Unless you’re in her shoes, you won’t be able to understand the hardships Mom had to go through just to put food on the table. Office sexism, the gender pay gap, and the general stigma of being a mom who doesn’t stay at home to watch the kids are just some of the things Mom had to go through during her working years. And even if you’re a working mom yourself in 2018, these challenges were guaranteed to have been worse in the era Mom was in the workforce.
When you pick your present, make sure to celebrate the superhero-level strength of mind, heart, and body Mom possesses to be able to weather all that and bring her journey to a satisfying end! Give her the priceless gift of feeling seen, acknowledged, and validated.
5 – You’re grateful
Thank you – sometimes that’s all Mom wants to hear to make everything worth it! So whatever gift you decide to get her – at whatever price, from wherever store, for whatever purpose – remember that the most important message it should convey is your appreciation for the super person Mom is and the super achievements she’s done.
Your Guide to Gifts for Retiree Moms
We’ve chosen ten super gifts for your retired super Mom (an apt number because she’s a perfect 10/10). Check them out below
For 100 days of pre-retirement hype
1 – 100-Day Countdown to Retirement Tear-Off Calendar
First things first – if you’re more excited about Mom’s retirement than she is, this tear-off countdown calendar to retirement would make her an excellent advance present!
Count Mom down as early as 100 days before her retirement day! This revamped edition features a larger calendar size and font for bigger hype. Each page displays the number of days left, plus retirement tips, funny and wise quotes, and even retiree trivia to get her excited as she gets closer to the big day.
The calendar has an attached easel stand at the back so it’s ready to be propped up anywhere, reminding everyone of how soon it will be before you get Mom all to yourselves!
- Tear-off countdown paper calendar from 100 to 0 days
- Attached easel stand
- Dimensions:5 x 0.7 x 4.8 inches
- Weight: 5 ounces
- New edition comes in a larger size and font for easier reading
- No wall hanging option; can take up desk space at work
For effortless style, wherever the road takes her next
2 – Monogrammed Concourse Carry-On Spinner and Boarding Bag Set
Retirement is the time for Mom to go on long, restful getaways, and she deserves to set off in style!
This Mark & Graham carry-on spinner and boarding bag set is roomy enough to hold a week’s worth of Mom’s vacation luggage and is designed to allow her to bring it all with her onto the plane. This saves her the hassle of standing in the luggage check-in queues and again at the baggage carousel waiting for her bags when she lands. It also minimizes the risk for lost luggage – quite fitting since it would be a shame to lose these beautiful pieces.
The concourse carry-on spinner features multidirectional revolving wheels and a telescoping handle for maximum maneuverability in airports and travel destinations. The matching boarding bag is spacious enough for Mom’s essentials, and then some. It’s got a carrying handle and a shoulder strap for her convenience on the move. Both pieces are made from vegan leather in timeless brown and white.
For extra oomph, the spinner and boarding bag can be monogrammed with her initials. No one can deny this lovely gift is hers – and that she’s deserving of all the vacation time she’ll spend with it!
- Vegan leather, nylon lining.
- Bags can be personalized with two matching foil-debossed monograms for an additional $9.50.
- Care instructions: Spot clean with a damp, white cloth; blot to remove excess water; air dry.
Boarding Bag features:
- Dimensions: 14 x 19 x 9 inches
- Handle drop: 5.5 inches
- Shoulder strap: 16 inches to 24 inches
- Flat bottom with protective metal feet.
- Exterior zipper pocket measures 11 x 17.5 inches
- Interior zipper pocket measures 7.5 x 9 inches
Carry-On Spinner features:
- Dimensions: 22 x 14 x 8.5 inches
- Two handles (on top and side).
- Interior clipped elastic band for securing clothes.
- Easy-telescoping handle.
- Four multi-directional spinning wheels.
- Exterior zipper pocket measures 15 inches x 12 inches
- Interior mesh pocket measures 16.5 inches x 12 inches
- Interior side zipper pockets measures 5.5 inches x 13 inches each
- Bag weight: 7.1 pounds
- The leather is of excellent, lasting quality
- May be pricey for only two pieces of luggage
For putting her feet up
3 – Relaxzen 60-701011M Microfiber Massage Rocker Recliner (with Heat and USB)
If Mom is more the stay-at-home than the wanderlust type, get her the Relaxzen microfiber massage rocker so she can put her feet up in luxurious comfort! This massage rocker features firm seats and soft, fluffy armrests, upholstered in plush microfiber, and packed with foam cushioning and support on all sides. A pullback recliner control under the armrest lets you lean the chair back for naps.
The Relaxzen massage rocker features eight powerful massage motors that target the legs, thighs, lumbar area, entire back. The massage rocker can work on these areas individually or all at once and goes up to five intensity levels. There are nine massage operating modes, one of which is the option to add mild lumbar heat to soothe lower back problems.
The massage rocker has an automatic timer that lets it run for 10, 20, or 30 minutes. Mom can set it, relax or take a nap, and the chair will turn itself off without her having to worry about it running for too long. The massage rocker can also be controlled via a remote that tucks into a built-in pocket.
To make the Relaxzen massage rocker even more convenient, it features two handy USB charging ports – for moms who like to keep their phones and tablets close by as they relax! No need to get up and find a nearby outlet to charge her device when the battery goes down. This chair thinks of everything – kind of like Mom has always done.
- Plush microfiber upholstery
- Foam cushioning and support
- Pullback recliner control
- 8 powerful massage motors
- 5 intensity levels
- 9 operating modes (including mild lumbar heat)
- 10-, 20-, or 30-minute auto timer
- 2 USB ports for charging smartphones and tablets
- Built-in pocket to keep remote in easy reach
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
- Color options: Gray, Brown, Beige, Realtree Camo
- Dimensions: 5 x 36 x 39.5 inches
- Weight: 81 pounds
- Easy to assemble (even for retirees with arthritis!)
- The footrest may need extra force to lock down when reclining
For the joy of simply having Mom around in the mornings
4 – Breakfast in Bed for Mommy Wood Serving Tray
If you’re aiming for something simple yet thoughtful instead of an extravagant splurge, consider this rustic breakfast in bed serving tray from Personal Creations!
Made of medium-density fibreboard plywood, this breakfast tray can be made extra special by personalizing with Mom’s name. The phrase “Breakfast in Bed for” appears by default, which can be appended with any name or title, plus an extra message up to 30 characters long.
Of course, it’s not actually the tray that’s the magic of the present, but the breakfast you’re going to serve her in bed now that she’s earned the right to sleep late in the mornings and be treated like a queen!
- Made in the USA.
- Made of medium-density fiberboard wood.
- Personalize with “Breakfast in bed for ____” using any name or title up to 10 characters, plus 1 line message up to 30 characters.
- Care instructions: Wipe clean with damp cloth.
- Dimensions: 18 x 12 inches
- Not just for mealtimes – also useful for crafts and other purposes!
- Not recommended for direct food contact; always use food-safe plates
For bath and body pampering
5 – Burt’s Bees Bath and Body Invigoration Spa Gift Basket
Give Mom the gift of spa-level indulgence at home with this Burt’s Bees gift basket from Bath and Body Invigoration!
It’s loaded with best-selling products from Burt’s Bees, including Milk & Honey Body Lotion, Coconut Foot Cream, Hand Salve, Soap Bark &Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream, and Beeswax Lip Balm. All products come in travel-size containers in case Mom wants to take them with her on the go. The gift basket also contains spa tools like a wooden body massager, a natural bath sponge, a pumice stone, a hairbrush, and a nail brush.
All the items are lovingly presented in a wooden spa bucket tie with a satin ribbon. Mom can even use the packaging for long after the spa items are gone! It also comes with a gift card and a small pair of scissors to make unwrapping her present fuss-free. There’s also an option to personalize the ribbon with a repeating message, perhaps with felicitous wishes for her retirement.
Finally, because Bath and Body Invigoration goes the extra mile, they can schedule shipping your gift and arrange for it to be delivered on right on Mom’s retirement day. Talk about a perfect – and convenient! – surprise!
- Burt’s Bees Travel Size Body Care Essentials Kit (Items may vary)
- Pumice stone
- Spa and massage tools
- Body care
- Wooden spa bucket with hand-tied satin ribbon
- Satin ribbon can be personalized with a one-line message (45 characters, will be repeated throughout the ribbon)
- Comes with a free greeting card
- Complimentary scissors included
- Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 5 inches
- Stunning presentation and accommodating delivery options
- Goodies are consumable and won’t last forever!
For moms who love to take food to the next level
6 – Himalayan Salt Cooking Block
Here’s a perfect gift for moms who cook: take meals up a notch with this Himalayan salt cooking block!
This cooking block is made of hand-cut slabs of Himalayan salt rock, mined from deep inside the Himalayan mountain. Use it directly on top of the grill or stove, as the cooking block flavors the meat, fish, or vegetables evenly as it cooks atop the tile. It’s an indispensable companion when grilling and searing.
Mom won’t even need to wash it after each use – a relief during kitchen cleanup! – but when she does it’s easy to rinse and pat dry. She can even use the cooking block to serve the meals as attractively as any gourmet restaurant worth their salt (pun intended)! Get her this Himalayan salt cooking block to elevate every meal at home to fine dining levels.
- Dimensions: 10 x 6 x 2 inches
- Weight:75 pounds
- Food is flavorful and cooked evenly and thoroughly
- Prone to cracking when exposed to intense heat; take care to heat the salt block slowly when cooking with it
And for moms who love to take their food outside
7 – Picnic Backpack from Gifts.com
Retirement is all about family time, and this is picnic backpack is the perfect present to encourage more of that!
Inside, the backpack comes with four sets of melamine plates, goblets, flatware, and napkins. It also includes a bread knife and wooden cutting board, as well as salt and pepper shakers (salt and pepper not included!). All the items have designated compartments in the bag and are secured with straps for safe transport. For wine-drinking families, a detachable wine cooler straps on the outside. A sommelier’s corkscrew is also included.
The canvas backpack features padded shoulder straps for comfortable carrying, and it can be personalized with any message up to 15 characters. The main compartment is insulated to keep hot food hot and cold food cold.
Of course, it’s not a picnic if you’re not sitting on a blanket! The picnic backpack comes complete with a felt picnic blanket in sable gray, which also attaches to the outside of the bag. Simply spread it out on the ground, lay out the bag’s contents, and enjoy a picture-perfect family Sunday out with Mom at the park or beach.
- 4 melamine plates
- 4 goblets
- 4 sets of flatware
- 4 napkins
- Bread knife
- Wooden cutting board
- Salt and pepper shakers
- Detachable wine cooler
- Felt picnic blanket
- Padded shoulder straps
- Insulated main compartment
- Can be personalized with any message up to 15 characters
- Blanket dimensions: 47 x 53 inches
- Dimensions: 18 x 7 x 16 inches
- Complete picnic needs – you won’t have to worry that you’ve forgotten anything important!
- Wouldn’t be advisable to squeeze additional picnic items into the bag; you’ll have to bring a separate one
For new growth
8 – Bonsai Tree Starter Kit by Growing Project
After a lifetime of raising kids and working on a team, it won’t be long before Mom will be looking for something new to cultivate and help reach their fullest potential. In this case, this bonsai garden starter kit will be perfect for her to pour her nurturing energy into!
Sproutbrite Total Bonsai Starter Kit includes five bonsai seeds: Silver Wattle, Aleppo Pine, Norway Spruce, Hedge Maple, and Japanese Red Pine. The first four variants are fast-growing bonsai varieties, while the Japanese Red Pine takes longer to grow and will pose a welcome challenge to new bonsai enthusiasts.
Aside from the seeds, the kit also includes bonsai-growing essentials like a mini-shovel, tree pruning tool, biodegradable growing pots, coir soil discs for filling the pots, and silicone pot saucers to place under the pots and keep your space clean. Wooden plant labels will help Mom remember which seed is growing in each pot, and the instruction manual can get her started straight away!
There’s nothing to fear if she’s never grown so much as a potato before. Sproutbrite guarantees that the bonsai-growing experience will be rewarding and easy for gardeners of any grade. (That or they’ll give you your money back!)
- 5 biodegradable growing pots
- 5 coir soil discs
- 5 food-grade silicone pot saucers
- 5 wooden plant marker labels
- Mini shovel
- Tree pruning tool
- Instruction manual
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Instructions are easy to follow for all ages and gardening experience levels
- Bonsai trees may take some time to grow, so have a lot of patience!
For beauty sleep like a queen
9 – Lilysilk 4-Piece Silk Bedding Set
Mom is the queen of the house, and silk is the queen of all natural fibers, so it makes sense to give Mom presents made from this royally luxurious fabric!
Start Mom off with this silk bedding sheet set from Lilysilk. This Mulberry silk set includes a flat sheet, a fitted sheet, and two queen-size pillowcases. Each piece is woven by silk workers from pure silk made by Bombyx Mori silkworms fed on mulberry leaves.
Silk sheets are hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial, as dust, mold, and mites don’t cling to silk. The high thread count produces a fine, smooth surface for sleep that won’t cause creases on Mom’s face and will prevent wrinkles. Silk is temperature-regulating, which means that it traps heat when the weather is chilly and stays cool when the weather is hot.
This present will keep Mom looking young, ward off allergens and bugs, and give her the best sleep of her life. You might want to toss in a set of silk pajamas too, as well as the last gift on our list…
- Silk flat sheet (91 x 102 inches)
- Silk fitted sheet (60 x 80 inches, 16-inch extra-deep fit)
- 2 queen-size silk pillowcases (20 x 30 inches)
- Care instructions: Hand or machine wash in cold water on gentle cycle. Hang to dry. Cool iron. Do not bleach. May be dry-cleaned.
- Sheets are made of whole pieces of silk – not small ones stitched together
- Won’t shrink or discolor in the wash
- The material isn’t too slippery that you’ll slide around while sleeping
- Can be expensive – but there’s no price on quality sleep!
And ensuring that sleep stays undisturbed!
10 – “Officially Retired, Do Not Disturb” Eye Mask
Sleep is a precious reward for someone who’s worked her whole life, be it the gift of rising late or the pleasure of napping in the middle of the day. Give Mom this eye mask for napping retirees to supplement that joy of sleep! The eye mask is emblazoned with the words “Officially Retired, Do Not Disturb”. It does the double job of keeping the light out of their eyes and telling everyone at home to respectfully leave them alone, or else!
- Dimensions:5 x 6.2 x 0.4 inches
- Weight:32 ounces
- One size fits most
- No adjustment options for smaller or bigger heads than usual
Your very own Wonder Woman
You’ll make Mom’s day with presents that are focused on her, indulge her comforts and interests, celebrate her achievements, and show gratitude for all she does for you!
This guide to retirement gifts will help you choose presents for Mom that acknowledge her strength, intelligence, and compassion throughout her working years. With thoughtfulness and sincerity, your present will be a celebration of her love for her family as well as her passion for her profession, and a reflection of the superhuman, Wonder Woman that Mom is.